Learn more: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/at-the-table-a-symposium-on-texas-women-registration-42364705976
The Texas Tribune is proud to host a day-long and open-to-the-public event, At the Table: A Symposium on Texas Women, on February 26 in Dallas.
In recent months women have dominated the headlines, from the #MeToo movement that has taken down some of the nation’s biggest media and culture icons to heartbreaking maternal mortality statistics that are raising serious questions around women’s access to care. It’s beyond time to turn those headlines into action.
Together, with top women leaders including U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, we’ll explore the impacts of the current climate on Texas women in the workplace, in the doctor’s office and on the campaign trail. And we’ll convene solutions-based roundtable discussions to start charting the path forward.
8:30 a.m.: Breakfast and networking with Texas Tribune reporters
9:15 a.m.: Making Texas Work for Women
- Arcilia Acosta, CEO of Carcon Industries
- Malinda Gaul, president of the Texas Employment Lawyers Association
- Vana Hammond, chief of community relations and GrowSouth for the city of Dallas
- Alexandra Williamson el-Effendi, head of brand for Bumble
- Moderated by Rebecca Lopez, reporter for WFAA-TV
10:30 a.m.: One-on-One with Kirsten Gillibrand
- U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-New York
- Moderated by Emily Ramshaw, editor in chief of The Texas Tribune
11:45 a.m.: The Fight for Women’s Health
- Daffodil Baez, clinical practice manager at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Marsha Jones, executive director of The Afiya Center
- State Rep. Stephanie Klick, R-Fort Worth
- Janet Realini, chairwoman of the Texas Women's Healthcare Coalition
- Moderated by Marissa Evans, health and human services reporter for The Texas Tribune
12:45 p.m.: Lunch
1:15 p.m.: Women’s (Under)representation in Politics
- State Rep. Helen Giddings, D-DeSoto
- Eva Guzman, Texas Supreme Court justice
- Missy Shorey, chairwoman of the Dallas County Republican Party and executive director of Maggie's List
- Margo McClinton Stoglin, Texas state director of IGNITE
- Moderated by Alexa Ura, demographics reporter for The Texas Tribune
2:15 p.m.: End
This event will be held in the Community Room in the Mabel Peters Caruth Center at the Communities Foundation of Texas campus in Dallas (map). This event is open to the public and a light breakfast and lunch are included. Visitor parking is available in the parking lot just south of the building. Each panel of this event will also be livestreamed at texastribune.org/events.
If the cost of this event is inhibitive to you but you would still like to attend, please email us at email@example.com.
The Tribune's symposia are modeled on the celebrated Texas Tribune Festival. These one-day, one-topic events bring together experts to present and generate productive conversations on major issues of the day.
This event is supported by Methodist Healthcare Ministries of South Texas, the Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute and Southwest Airlines, the official airline of Texas Tribune Events. It is hosted by the Communities Foundation of Texas. Media support is provided by WFAA, KERA and CultureMap Dallas. Foundation support is provided by the Dallas Women's Foundation, the Burdine Johnson Foundation, the Susan Vaughan Foundation and the Simmons Foundation. Tribune events are also supported through contributions from our founding investors and members. Though donors and corporate sponsorsunderwrite Texas Tribune events, they play no role in determining the content, panelists or line of questioning.