First Reading, 2018 vol. 15
It's August. Does that mean we can complain about the heat without sounding like jerks now? After my real job is done today I'll be putting together the next Pink Granite interview - August will be another 2 for 1 with a lady power couple in the Texas lobby. So keep an eye on the homepage for that - or even better subscribe to my newsletter and you'll get it a full 2 days to 2 hours early - depending on my mood. The form to fill out to subscribe to my newsletter is lit ra lee at the bottom of every page on this website. No way to miss it.
Here's 12 things I found online this morning that I think you might enjoy as well.
- The Texas Tribune has announced it's September festival program and it looks pretty incredible and very balanced might I add.
- The Texas Lyceum Poll has Ted Cruz still ahead of Beto O'Rourke but not by much. Read the entire poll here.
- Stephen Colbert takes his own boss to task, here's the Cut on why we need powerful men to speak out to other powerful men.
- 5 Types of Networking Events that are actually worth your time, via Career Contessa. Cough. Pink Granite Parties. Cough. Oh, excuse me...
- How Goop's haters drove it's bottom line to insane heights. The big business of being Gwyneth Paltrow via NYT.
- Man Up: How to be a True Gentleman via Garden & Gun.
- Hilary Duff has helped design a new line of eyeglasses and they are pretty sharp.
- A "Social Hygiene" campaign that send so many women to jail, via NYT.
- Is gender a key in electoral success this year, Real Clear Politics doesn't think so.
- Inc. magazine names the Bumble HQ here in Austin one of the world's most beautiful offices.
- Did you know Texas schools are required by law to offer voter registration to eligible students? Many don't, via the Houston Chronicle.
- Motherhood in the Age of Fear, an opinion piece from the NYT. Are we afraid for our kids' safety or just afraid of the opinions of other parents?