First Reading, vol. 8
Rest assured I haven't forgotten about any of you - I'm still just recovering from the end of the Texas Special Session last week, a massive work training session and then a quick family trip to Port Aransas. Got to keep the boss and the 2 year old happy amirite?
My inboxes (yes plural!) are getting whittled down slowly but surely just in time for the new week. Did you participate in all the eclipse hubbub? I did not but only because I was in a meeting, didn't have the glasses or a Cheerio box with a hole in it AND it was cloudy out in North Austin. Maybe 2024 will be my year.
- Garnering national attention, UT removed several of its Confederate statues last night. Here's what Texas Monthly said about it in 2007.
- Callista Gingrich is set to become the Ambassador to the Vatican and Newt will play the role of "spouse."
- Have you bought your tickets to see the Clinton's speak in Irving? I'm still contemplating the babysitter, the 3 hour drive and the hotel room of it all. If it were in Austin, there would be zero question. I'm still kicking myself for not purchasing tickets to Biden's tour.
- I just signed up for Bumble and I need to know if that's weird as a 30-something married lady? It came up twice in my day, once from Juicy Scoop and again on Kathleen's Instagram. So... the marketing works. PS - they are headquartered here in Austin and about to launch a networking app - thus my sign-up.
- Have you ever heard of "low grade Christian famous?" Here's the Atlantic's take on White Christian Women and Politics.
- Even at the beach I didn't forget the anniversary of the 19th Amendment (check my Instagram if you don't believe me!), I also didn't forget Tina Fey sheet-caking on SNL.
- A lipstick cursing (literally) President Trump has raised a LOT of money for Charlottesville. Check it out via the Cut. Also, Steve Bannon to go nuclear on Ivanka?
- And finally, how wealthy women got dressed in the 18th century. Thank goodness for Ann Taylor.