First Reading, vol. 15
What can we even say friends? I saw a little meme on Instagram tonight that said once all the groper's are brought into the light there will be no one left to run the world but women. I don't believe we are quite there, but it certainly seems that way in the current news cycle! Have you seen the episode of Good News where Tina Fey starts harassing her male subordinates in an attempt to be fired and given a "golden parachute" like her male counterparts. So funny you can watch it here.
- What did we learn about women and politics after this year's election day? Here's what the Washington Post thinks. And I don't even have to tell you what they think about Roy Moore. P.S. I think after last Tuesday, the ticker of women in state legislatures has bumped from 23% to 25%. Half way to gender parity in 2018.
- State Senator Sylvia Garcia has announced her intention to run for Congress.
- U.S. Rep. Litesa Wallace talks to Essence about sexual harassment in politics, specifically around women of color.
- The Texas Tribune reports on the limitations of requiring sexual harassment training for legislators.
- Talk about girl-power! Two women are vying for leadership of the Travis County Democratic Party.
- Speaking of, this new video highlights the role that fear and sexism plays in keeping women off the ballot.
- Julie Johnson is running against Rep. Matt Rinaldi in HD 115 and both Annie's List and the Human Rights Campaign have recently endorsed her.
- One American University Professor lectures on women in politics and this summary provides highlights. She reassures us all that party is more important than gender in most campaigns - however you've still got to run in order to win.
- According to Quartz - it will take 217 years to close the global economic gender gap. Seems. About. Right.
In personal news, my life has become this every single night. Mommas get it.
I've become way too interested in this site which shows you what your favorite characters are wearing. I'm about $5,000 away from being the next Olivia Pope.
And I've been binge watching old episodes of Once Upon a Time which makes no sense, because it's pretty ridiculous.